• Feel free to call us at (916)472-6232

  • Post Judgment Modification

  • Post-Divorce Modification

    After divorce your circumstances may change.  Sometimes these changes or circumstances result in the need to modify your divorce settlement or decree with regards to spousal support, child support, or child custody.  Major life changes such as remarriage, loss of job, relocating out of the area, all may result in the need to modify your agreement.  

    My name is Patricia D. Clark, and I am an experienced family law attorney practicing throughout the Greater Sacramento, California, area from my office in Roseville. I can help you determine if you have grounds to seek a post-divorce modification and walk you through the process.

     Modifying Child Support, Spousal Support or Child Custody

    There are common situations in which ex-spouses may seek modification to their Marital Settlement Agreement or divorce decree including:

    • Change in jobs which results in a raise or a job loss, which can have a substantial effect on spousal support/alimony and child support payments
    • An ex-spouse or the child is suffering from an illness or other medical emergency which can affect the payments or the parenting plan.
    • Your ex-spouse remarrying or moving in with someone who poses a danger to your child and isn’t in the best interest of your child.
    • A parent wishing to relocate

    It is important to consult with a lawyer to understand if you are able to change your divorce decree.  Generally, parties cannot relocate with a child without notifying the other party and obtaining a proper court order. Parties must also understand that any agreements reached without a court order are not enforceable. This is especially important if a reduction in spousal support or child support is sought.  Contact Patricia to set-up a consultation and to fully understand the steps that are necessary for modification of your divorce decree.

    Resolving Differences After Divorce Through Mediation

    Often ex-spouses have disagreements after divorce and would benefit from post-divorce mediation.  These disagreements include: changes to a parenting schedule, needing to change spousal or child support, disagreements about children’s extra-curricular expenses and costs.  An attorney-mediator can help you reach a mutual agreement which can then be entered as a court order.  This is less costly than hiring an attorney to represent you and having to attend court hearings where a Judge will ultimately make the final determination. 

     If you are interested in finding out more about post-judgment modifications, please contact the Law and Mediation Office of Patricia D. Clark in Roseville, California. 916-472-6232.